Teaching children proper pedestrian and bicycle safety is an essential part of Walk to School activities. Safety trainings can insure that children are safe while using the healthiest forms of transportation. The following resources can be used to teach children and adults what they need to know before their next walk or bike trip to school.
The League of American Bicyclists offers two courses for children: “Kids I” trains parents to teach their children to ride a bike safely. “Kids II” is a 7 hour course for fifth and sixth graders that covers on-bike skills as well as choosing safe routes for riding. These courses are led by League Cycling Instructors (LCIs) that have been certified in BikeEd. Talk to your local bike coalition to find LCIs.
Bike rodeos can be coordinated by the local community with assistance from the police department. This form of a bike safety clinic includes a miniature “chalk street” course set up in a parking lot for participants to learn where and how to apply bicycle safety rules. Bike rodeos can also include raffles, bike tune-ups and booths sponsored by local bike shops.
- Getting to School Safely: Community Action Activities Guide. Includes word games, coloring pages, and a safety quiz.
- Bike Safe. Bike Smart. Video (2004). Available for purchase.
- “Ride Smart: It’s Time to Start” Bicycle Safety Video (2002). Available for purchase.
- Pedestrian Safety Trail and Bike Tour. Interactive tool for young people.
- Walking and Biking Safety – Kindergarten to Grade 3. Safety Tips and Fact Sheet.
- Walking and Biking Safety – Toddlers and Preschoolers. Safety Tips and Fact Sheet.
- Prescription for Safety – Walking in Traffic. Tips on how to protect your family while walking in traffic.
- Kids on the Move: Walking and Biking Safely. Tips and Fact Sheet
- Safe Routes to School 2004
- Pedestrian Forum, Summer 2006 – a collection of relevant articles
- How to Create a Pedestrian Safety Action Plan – a reference for improving pedestrian safety
- The Pedestrian Safety Guide and Countermeasure Selection System – the latest information on improving the safety and mobility of pedestrians from www.walkinginfo.org
- Pedestrian Safety Campaign toolkit – a free ready-made toolkit of outreach materials
- “Safer Journey” CD – an interactive CD designed to improve pedestrian knowledge